do / make crafts (handicrafts)

< Previous | Next >
  • SwissJeremy

German-Swiss
    I have a sentence in mind like: "let's do/make some crafts, everybody" Should I use do or make in that case?

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Yes, you cannot use the word 'craft' like that. It has to be 'craft-work'. "Craft" = [traditional] skill.

So you need to say, "Let's do some craft-work, everybody"

SwissJeremy

German-Swiss
    You know, what I'm trying to say is something you'd do with your children. (with paper, glue and stuff) So in that case would you say: "let's do some craft-work, everybody"? (that means I should use do and not make?)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    We use the phrase "arts and crafts" for this sort of thing in AE. "Let's do some arts and crafts" would be one way to say it. Since "arts and crafts" is the activity, not the product, we do not use "make." If you were thinking of a specific result, you could say "Do you want to make woven baskets?"

SwissJeremy

German-Swiss
    is "do arts and crafts" the most common expression or would "do handicrafts" work as well? BTW Does everybody agree PaulQ that "do crafts" alone won't do it?

ribran

English - American
    Hate to disagree, but speaking with kids or some ladies' group "Let's do a craft!" sounds pretty normal. A little mindless, but normal.
    Really? :confused:

I'm not entirely sure what that means...

Does, "Let's do a craft," mean, "Let's work together to make (something specific)"?

Last edited:

WyomingSue

English--USA
    I mean, if six knitters plan to get together to knit and drink coffee, they'll be specific and say "Bring your knitting."
    A store might advertise "Handcrafts for sale," meaning quilts, knitted things, handmade birdhouses, etc.
    But if you're organizing a week-long kids' program you might say "We'll start with games, followed by singing. After having a snack, then we'll do a craft." That would encompass door-hangers made out of popsicle sticks, hand-printed scarves, little men made by stringing buttons together, etc. I've gone to ladies' events where there was a speaker followed by dessert and then we all worked with cloth and cardboard and glue guns to make little padded boxes. (That's why I said "a little mindless." You being a guy probably have not experienced these activities.)

< Previous | Next >