do not abandone the faith or do not abandone faith?

Anelisa

Spanish- Spain
What is the correct one?
do not abandone the faith
or
do not abandone faith

?

Context: The Most Holy Virgin says: "Men, every day, listen less and less to the word of God; that is why the world walks by leaps and bounds towards perdition. My children, I only ask you not to abandon the faith, to persevere in prayer. I ask for prayer and sacrifice "

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Either one might be correct, depending on the intention of the writer or speaker, but in both cases abandon is spelled without an e at the end.

"My children, I only ask you not to abandon the faith, to persevere in prayer."

If 'the faith' is understood to mean a specific sectarian religion, then that is the appropriate wording. If faith is used to mean belief in general, without an implicit linkage to a specific religion, then you may dispense with the article.

English - England
    I suspect this is an implicit reference to the inscription on the gates of Hell in Dante - "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" often translated "Abandon faith (more properly hope), all ye who enter here".

To abandon faith = to lose faith, i.e. confidence that things may turn out ok.

To abandon the Faith = to apostatize - to leave one's religion - to cease to hold a given formulated set of religious beliefs.

Anelisa

Spanish- Spain
    Here the Most Holy Virgin Mary refers to the Christian faith , which is the only true faith. So she refers to the faith in Jesus Christ, to the faith in God, to the catholic faith. This is an extract of a message form her in her apparition in "Prado Nuevo" El Escorial