Do not proceed to this manual <with><on> PC.

< Previous | Next >

Mr.Korean

Korean
Thanks you for reading my thread !

I do not want people to use their computer when they proceed to a user manual in order to avoid some errors.

So, I made two sentences, What do you prefer between " Do not proceed to this manual with PC" and "Do not proceed to this manual on PC"??

• Mr.Korean

Korean
    Do you mean that you do not want people to use the on-line manual?
    There is a user manual for software installation on a robot. But I am afraid that they install the software on their desktop. So, I was going to say, "Do not proceed to this manual (or instruction) on remote computer"
    Is it really wrong??

1573733791389.png

Mr.Korean

Korean
    I suppose you mean "they read the user manual..."? I suggest:

Do not use the computer while you are reading/while you are referring to the computer manual.
    I am sorry that I didn't give you enough background information.
    There is software which should be installed on SBC(single board computer), but not on a computer(a desktop or laptop) we commonly use. So, I want to warn them not to install the software on their computer when they are on the software manual.

Is not okay I say "Do not proceed to this manual with PC"

Myridon

English - US
    This is the SBC manual. Do not use the instructions in this manual with your personal computer. This manual is only for the SBC.

manfy

German - Austria
    There is a user manual for software installation on a robot. But I am afraid that they install the software on their desktop. So, I was going to say, "Do not proceed to this manual (or instruction) on remote computer"
    Is it really wrong??
    It's not just wrong but worse: misleading. It makes people guess what it might mean and thus increases the probability of doing the wrong thing.

In this day and age people would expect that the installer software can automatically identify the platform you install the software on, and if the platform is incompatible, the installer software is supposed to abort installation.
    If your software doesn't do that then there's something wrong with your installer.

Myridon's version is reasonably self-explanatory - provided the user knows what SBC stands for.

Mr.Korean

Korean
    It's not just wrong but worse: misleading. It makes people guess what it might mean and thus increases the probability of doing the wrong thing.

In this day and age people would expect that the installer software can automatically identify the platform you install the software on, and if the platform is incompatible, the installer software is supposed to abort installation.
    If your software doesn't do that then there's something wrong with your installer.

Myridon's version is reasonably self-explanatory - provided the user knows what SBC stands for.
    Hmmm.. Good points, but SBC is a small computer such as raspberry pi series, there is possibility of critical error raising even if it is installed on
    But I am just worried about my poor English leading a wrong way when they follow the instruction of the user manual.

Thank you for pointing it out haha

Mr.Korean

Korean
    This is the SBC manual. Do not use the instructions in this manual with your personal computer. This manual is only for the SBC.
    Thank you so much, I really should not try to make a sentence difficult. Just using a plain English. Really Thank you. Have a great day !

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    There is a user manual for software installation on a robot. But I am afraid that they install the software on their desktop.
    I don't think that is possible to do.

What program are they using to install programs on the raspberry pi? To install on the pi, and to install on windows, require completely different procedures and different programs.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The issue is not about reading the manual. It is about installing the software. Therefore, do not mention the manual. How about simply "Do not install this software on your computer. It should only be installed on the SBC."?

The degree to which you must emphasize this depends on whether it can damage anything on your computer, if you try to install it there, or will just waste your time while not doing anything useful.

Mr.Korean

Korean
    I don't think that is possible to do.

What program are they using to install programs on the raspberry pi? To install on the pi, and to install on windows, require completely different procedures and different programs.
    1. Hmm,, It might be quite confusing to understand it. The SBC is installed on a robot and it operates on ROS(Robot Operating System). ROS is kinda set of command tools which also include software.
    2. In order to communicate with the robot. A personal computer is also needed to install ROS which means it does not matter you are using windows or Linux.
    3. It is important which is slave and master. Master gives a command, and slave receive it. That is the reason why I mention the sentence.

Thank you for the reply !

Mr.Korean

Korean
    The issue is not about reading the manual. It is about installing the software. Therefore, do not mention the manual. How about simply "Do not install this software on your computer. It should only be installed on the SBC."?

The degree to which you must emphasize this depends on whether it can damage anything on your computer, if you try to install it there, or will just waste your time while not doing anything useful.
    Yes. It is also good way ! Thank you for helping me :)

Mr.Korean

Korean
    Thank you all for giving me good advice! I change the sentence : "This instruction is for SBC. Do not use this instruction with Remote PC."

< Previous | Next >