do not report ... unless it is not.., such as

jay J

Korean
I saw the following sentence in the tax report info which says
"do not report on the line 21 any nonemployee compensation shown on the For 1099-MISC
unless it is not self-employment income, such as income from a hobby or a sporadic activity."

does this mean that hobby related income should not be reported on the line or what?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    Is there a reason you're not asking the tax office? We don't get involved in legal interpretations here.

jay J

Korean
    Thanks. But I just want to make things clear. whenever a phrase contains "unlesss", it's confusing.
    Can you please tell me if a hobby related income must be reported on this line?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Are you asking about the structure "Do not report .... unless"?

In that case, I can tell you that 'unless' introduces an exception.
    "Do not give me cake, unless you made it yourself" means, Don't give me any cake, except for cake you made yourself. If you made the cake yourself, you should give it to me.

The sentence you have is more confusing, because it has a negative.
    Do not report ... unless it is not ....
    "Do not give me cake, unless it is not cake you bought from a store."
    This means that if you have cake you didn't buy from a store, you should give it to me.

So I understand the first part of the sentence as meaning, "Don't report any any nonemployee compensation shown on the For 1099-MISC, with the following exception: you should report compensation that not self-employment income."

Here is where I get confused: I don't know whether 'such as income from a hobby or a sporadic activity' offers examples of the sort of income you should report, or offers examples of "self-employment income" that are the kind of income you shouldn't report. Because it is important to do this correctly, I think you should follow Copyright's advice: ask the tax office or someone who has training in how to fill out tax forms. (In many communities there are groups who offer free assistance in filling out tax forms.)

jay J

Korean
    Thanks. I'm confused with the phrase you felt complicated. It's not related to tax report or anything. I just got confused when I read this part in the explanation of tax report.
    The sentence seems to mean something forthright but still I get confused, does that mean that sporadic hobby income should be reported on the line or what? The cake example is great but/and even your account of first part of the sentence now starts confusing; is it the case that you understand, "do not report any nonemployment compensation shown on the form but report compensation that is not self employment income"?
    Consider me, for your convenienc, a pre-school kid. Please teach me.

jay J

Korean
    Just to clarify, I'm interested in the structure and happened to encounter one that has the following structure-not A unless not B. Does this mean 'A if not B' or 'A if B'?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Your question:
    not A unless not B.
    Does this mean 'A if not B' :tick: (= Yes).
    or 'A if B'? :cross: (= No)

For example:
    [not A unless not B] I don't like cats unless they are not black.
    [A if not B] I like cats if they are not black.
    :)

< Previous | Next >