Do not swing standing up.

Junwei Guo

Chinese
"Do not swing standing up."
What does the above sentence mean?
I think that "standing up" is a partciple used as an adverb here.
Thanks!

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    :D

You could say "Do not stand up on the swing", which would include stationary standing as well as standing while swinging.

Junwei Guo

Chinese
    :D

You could say "Do not stand up on the swing", which would include stationary standing as well as standing while swinging.
    I’m trying to convey this message – Do not try to stand up while you are swinging. In this case, can’t I say “Do not stand up swinging”?
    Thanks!

Chinese Su

Chinese
    I agree that "don't stand up swinging" sounds somewhat hilarious, because it means that "the person should not begin swinging as he or she is standing up".

However, I have a question. Which set of sentences is correct? A or B? Thank you :)

A.
    Do not swing while standing up. = Don't swing standing up.
    Do not stand up while swinging. = Don't stand up swinging.

B.
    Do not swing while standing up. = Don't stand up swinging.
    Do not stand up while swinging. = Don't swing standing up.

Vronsky

Russian - Russia
    Don't stand up swinging.
    Let's say, you are sitting on a chair. And now you want to stand up. "Don't stand up swinging" means that you can stand up, but you shouldn't stand up swinging, i.e. moving from side to side.

Another interpretation could be: while you are swinging on a swing, you shouldn't stand up.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    I agree with Franco-filly, and my sign would drop the "up" – Don't stand on the swings.

If you find that some wiseguys are squatting on the swings, you could use – No feet on the swings. Or, more memorably: No feets on the seats.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >