"do one's solitude right"

< Previous | Next >

pgadamer

Portuguese - Portugal & Brazil
Hello, everyone.

I'm stuggling to understand a sentence in an essay I'm reading about contemporary literature. It is a quote of a novel:

"If one does one's solitude right, this is the prize".

I wasn't able to grasp the meaning of the sentence. Is she saying something like "do right to one's own solitude?" Or maybe "do

Thank you!

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    The explanation is in the part of the paragraph that comes before this quote. Her solitude "had been a useful solitude, constructed, as it was, around a recent sobriety, long walks to and from the Y ..." If she got the maximum value from her solitude, the prize was where she found herself at this time: in love, and able to give herself completely to her lover.

By the way, this is from Chapter 1 of The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson. Please try to provide the source in the future. We shouldn't have to search for it when we need to get more context. Needing to do a Web search discourages people from answering questions.

pgadamer

Portuguese - Portugal & Brazil
    The explanation is in the part of the paragraph that comes before this quote. Her solitude "had been a useful solitude, constructed, as it was, around a recent sobriety, long walks to and from the Y ..." If she got the maximum value from her solitude, the prize was where she found herself at this time: in love, and able to give herself completely to her lover.

By the way, this is from Chapter 1 of The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson. Please try to provide the source in the future. We shouldn't have to search for it when we need to get more context. Needing to do a Web search discourages people from answering questions.
    Hello, Egmont,

Thank you so much for your quick answer. And sorry for the lack of source -- at this point in the essay, I wasn't able to know from where the sentence was, since the author is playing with a lot of different sentences from different writers, constructing a narrative based only on quotes -- just to prove his argument. Be sure I'll provide the source next time.

raynaudamien

French
    Hello, on this sentence Her solitude "had been a useful solitude, constructed, as it was, around a recent sobriety, long walks to and from the Y ..." from Maggie Nelson's THe argonauts I don't understant The letter "Y" in the context. If someone can help me? Thanks...

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Hello, on this sentence Her solitude "had been a useful solitude, constructed, as it was, around a recent sobriety, long walks to and from the Y ..." from Maggie Nelson's THe argonauts I don't understant The letter "Y" in the context. If someone can help me? Thanks...
    YMCA buildings are often used by local chapters of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA, an organization that helps alcoholics stop drinking) as meeting places. I don't know anything about how she became sober, but if she participated in AA's program, this could refer to walking to and from AA meetings.

< Previous | Next >