'Do' or 'make' a benzodiazepine withdrawal?

< Previous | Next >
  • Copyright

American English
    Hmm, that sounds a bit clinical. :rolleyes: Normally, we would talk about receiving treatment for a substance addiction.

So I'll set that aside and say that my first few thoughts were these:
    He was undergoing withdrawal when the ambulance arrived.
    He was suffering withdrawal symptoms when they brought him in.
    He was in the throes of withdrawal and the doctor wasn't allowing visitors.

I guess I would use "undergo withdrawal" in your sentence, but it would still strike me as an unusual approach.

phil_34

Okay, thank you. I like the third one 'in the throes of withdrawal'. That is similar to 'in the thick of something'. (in the middle of)

So in other words, it's neither 'do' nor 'make' a withdrawal but 'undergo'.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Phil_34, what is the meaning you have in mind for the phrase "do/make a benzodiazepene withdrawal"? Do you mean something like "to stop using benzodiazepene," or something closer to "to undergo painful bodily symptoms as the body gets accustomed to not being on benzodiazepene"? We generally do not use the word "withdrawal" to mean the action of quitting a drug, but if you are referring to the symptoms then that does not sound like something you "resolve" to do. You resolve to quit the drug; the symptoms follow as a natural side-effect.

phil_34

I'm not (yet) talking about the impending withdrawal symptoms. All I want to say is that I've decided to quit the drug (stop using benzodiazepines). As for the symptoms, I'm talking about them at a later stage (not mentioned here in this post).

Okay, so I'll go for 'to resolve to quit the drug.' Thank you.

phil_34

@Glenfarclas. I'm a little confused because http://www.thefreedictionary.com/withdrawal says that:

9.withdrawal - the termination of drug takingdrug withdrawal
    ending, termination, conclusion - the act of ending something; "the termination of the agreement"

cold turkey - complete and abrupt withdrawal of all addictive drugs or anything else on which you have become dependent; "he quit smoking cold turkey"; "she quit her jobcold turkey"
    I will go for 'to resolve to quit the drug, but I'm talking about the withdrawal so often throughout my book that I sometimes have to use the word 'withdrawal'. So does it make sense, but is just not as often used as 'quitting the drug'?

e2efour

UK English
    A doctor withdraws (or takes you off) a drug or a drug is withdrawn (not by you but by a doctor).
    If it's your decision, then you would say stop taking the drug (BE). The use of quit suggests AE.

I don't understand how anyone can undergo withdrawal, although they can undergo/suffer withdrawal symptoms.

< Previous | Next >