"'Do'?" she once had echoed to him as the upshot ----- [Henry James]

t k

Korean - Korea
"'Do'?" she once had echoed to him as the upshot of passages covertly, though briefly, occurring between them on her return from the visit to America that had immediately succeeded her marriage, determined for her by this event as promptly as an excursion of the like strange order had been prescribed in his own case. (From The Golden Bowl by Henry James. A larger context is here. Use ctrl-f to locate the excerpt.)

Please explain this sentence. I cannot even find the subject for each verb. Thanks. --- tk

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "'Do'?" she once had echoed [=repeated what he had said] to him

as the upshot of passages covertly, though briefly, occurring between them
    = This was a result of short conversations they had had after she returned from America -- where she had gone immediately after her marriage. He had made a similar trip after his own marriage. (I am not certain whether his trip was from Europe to America, as hers was, or the other way round.

If you have a choice, I strongly recommend that you find another book. As I said in an earlier thread, this book is very difficult to read and understand. There are other books that are likely to be more rewarding.

t k

Korean - Korea
    Thanks, Cagey.

Is the following the correct skeleton of the sentence? Thanks again. --- tk

"'Do'?" she once had echoed to him as the upshot of passages covertly, though briefly, occurring between them on her return from the visit to America that had immediately succeeded her marriage, determined for her by this event as promptly as an excursion of the like [that] strange order had been prescribed in his own case.

< Previous | Next >