do some jogging, to jog, jogging.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I wonder which of these three expressions that involve the term "jog" is idiomatic:

I am going to the park to do some jogging.
I am going to the park to jog.
I am going to the park for jogging.

I want to keep the main body of the sentence, namely "I am going to the park", I want to know how to express the phrase idiomatically, may I have your opinion?

• Tazzler

American English
    The first and second sentences are correct. The second sentence to me sounds more like a statement of something you do habitually, while the first sentence sounds like a statement of a one-time action in progress at the moment you say it. The third doesn't sound idiomatic.

Last edited:

LauraK

American English
    The only idiomatic phrase here is the first. You wouldn't say "going to the park for jogging," just "to jog," and there's nothing idiomatic about that. "Doing some jogging" is a much more casual sounding thing. If you're going to go with that, I would make "I am" a contraction; it sounds much more natural. "I'm going to the park to do some jogging."

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Silver, the use of the 'deverbal noun' (ie a verb turned into a noun) is common in speech, and allows the stress to be put at the end. That's why your first example sounds more natural.

'I swam yesterday' sounds very awkward. We prefer 'I went for a swim yesterday'. Similarly 'I had a long walk' is more idiomatic sounding than 'I walked a lot'.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I wonder which of these three expressions that involve the term "jog" is idiomatic:

I am going to the park to do some jogging.
    I am going to the park to jog.
    I am going to the park for jogging.

I want to keep the main body of the sentence, namely "I am going to the park". I want to know how to express the phrase idiomatically; may I have your opinion?
    The first two are idiomatic; the third is definitely not. But all of them are a little more formal than the way the average American would phrase it; the most common of the three would be the first, but with a contraction: I'm going . . . , which would make it less formal.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Sorry to contradict you, but if you put the sentence that way, it sounds more or less like from the way to the park, you are jogging, am I right?
    No, it doesn't. It sounds like I am going to the park (how I get there is not specified) and I will jog in the park.

Adge

USA- English (Southern)
    I'm apparently in the minority here, but I don't like either the first or the third sentence. I would probably say "I'm going to the park to go for a jog" or "I'm going to the park to go jogging," although I also like Nunty's response.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think Adge's 'I'm going to the park to go for a jog' or even 'I'm going to the park for a jog' are good alternatives, and are probably more idiomatic.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Originally Posted by Havfruen
    I'd say, "I'm going jogging in the park."
    Sorry to contradict you, but if you put the sentence that way, it sounds more or less like from the way to the park, you are jogging, am I right?
    No--Havfruen's right. Although it's not among the possibilities you presented in your initial question, that's actually the way most Americans would likely phrase it. It doesn't say that the speaker will jog on the way to the park (that might or might not be so), only that the jogging will be done in the park.

Think about what you'd say if there were a swimming pool in the park. We might say, "I'm going swimming in the park"--and no one would think that we were planning to get to the park by swimming! :)

< Previous | Next >