Do something verbally/orally (AmE)

< Previous | Next >

LukasGER

German
Hello everyone!

Which word is better or more commonly used in the following situation:

A teacher gives instructions to his students and says: "Do this exercise verbally/orally!"

I'm looking for the American version here.

• AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    It doesn't make sense either way. Can you express the idea in different words?

Dryan

English - Northeastern U.S.
    When I was in Russian class I remember the textbook referring to them as speaking activities.
    We also had oral exams and written exams.

The only reason I would avoid oral exercise is that it can have sexual connotations if students chose to read into it.

LukasGER

German
    It doesn't make sense either way. Can you express the idea in different words?
    You can do an exercise in writing or you can do it just by talking to each other, so it's an oral exercise. For example, the teacher could say: "Discuss this statement with your partner!", then the students would do this exercise verbally/orally.

Is it now clear?

Packard

USA, English
    Most people that I meet treat "verbal" and "oral" as synonyms.

I make a distinction between "verbal" and "oral" communication.

"Oral communication" is spoken. It is a subset of "verbal" communication.

"Verbal communication" is communication using words. It can be written, or spoken.

Non-verbal" communication is done with symbols. These are all examples of non-verbal communication: :D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:);):(:mad::confused::cool::thumbsdown::tick::cross::thumbsup:

Rival

English - UK
    "Verbal communication" is communication using words. It can be written, or spoken.

Non-verbal" communication is done with symbols.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

... symbols, numbers, and anything else that isn't words.
    I frequently hear body language described as non-verbal communication.

Packard

USA, English
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

... symbols, numbers, and anything else that isn't words.
    I frequently hear body language described as non-verbal communication.
    I agree. Body language, tone of voice, etc. can all be "non-verbal" communication.

Dogs are particularly adept at reading non-verbal communication. They can read body language that you are not even aware that you are expressing. Professional card players can read "tells" that indicate how the player feels about his hand. This can give them a significant advantage.

< Previous | Next >