do the horrors of war make one's soul go blind?

• madeleineze

english
    oh i forgot, it' s "ma tentative" ;)
    oh touché ( to the ma tentative)!
    :)
    does "l’âme devenir aveugle" not make sense though?
    I greatly appreciate your speedy reply, but I would prefer to change my sentences only if they make no sense. tu sais?
    thank you for your commentary !

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    does "l’âme devenir aveugle" not make sense though?
    no, I'm sorry to say.
    Santho is right, rendre (rendent) is the best (and probably the only) way to translate this.
    You could also say : Les horreurs de la guerre font-elles que l'âme devienne/devient aveugle ? But too long and not too good ...

madeleineze

english
    no, I'm sorry to say.
    Santho is right, rendre (rendent) is the best (and probably the only) way to translate this.
    You could also say : Les horreurs de la guerre font-elles que l'âme devienne/devient aveugle ? But too long and not too good ...
    I'm not sure if you get what I'm asking.
    My first own translation to begin with was :
    Les horreurs de la guerre, rendent-elles votre âme devenir aveugle ?

and she changed "votre âme devenir aveugle" to "l'ˆåme aveugle"

its not a matter of me not understanding the neccessity of using rendre.
    I'm asking if I could still use "l'âme devenir aveugle" instead "l'âme aveugle". I'm asking if its okay to have the "devenir" I put in my first translation.

thank you so much !

Kelly B

USA English
    Here, rendre, all by itself, means to cause (it) to become. The notion of becoming is already present, so you don't need the extra verb. As Aoyama indicated, a more literal version of cause (it) to become would be faire devenir, where faire only covers the to cause portion, but that structure is unnecessarily awkward when one word will do.

Edited to add: the same is true in English: The horrors of war render the soul blind. We don't use it that way very often, but it is equivalent.

Last edited:

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    Kelly is right, but I understand madeleineze's insistence about "devenir aveugle".
    Les horreurs de la guerre, font-elles devenir aveugle votre âme ? Or also :
    Les horreurs de la guerre, font-elles devenir votre âme aveugle ?
    but this would be awkward because "faire devenir" sounds strange and "rendre devenir" is impossible. Rendre cannot be followed by a verb, only by an adjective (or a p.p. used adjectively). Faire can be followed by an infinitive (faire [r]entrer, faire partir, faire travailler etc) but not "faire devenir" which are both factitive or "state" verbs.

Last edited:

archijacq

french France
    "make blind" can also be translated as "aveugler":
    Les horreurs de la guerre peuvent-elles aveugler l'âme ?

< Previous | Next >