do things

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,

Does the following sentence make sense at all?

He always does things with a rush.

Thanks in advance.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Maybe.

What information is meant to be conveyed by the sentence?

It would be more common to say 'in a rush', meaning in a hurried way. Unless you tell us the intention of the speaker or writer, we will not know if that is what is meant. A rush is also a plant. I can imagine contexts in which that definition of rush might fit. It's not nearly so common, but I wouldn't exclude it without some context.

AWordLover

USA English
    Hi,

To me, "He does things with a rush.", sounds like the speaker does not know that the common idiom is in a rush. :)

Of course it is possible that there are regional variations and someone says "with a rush" where I would say "in a rush".

A rush is a kind of grassy plant that is sometimes used to make woven baskets and things like that. Who knows what he could do with a rush.

A rush, is a term used to describe the adrenaline jolt we get when we do something exciting or dangerous. Typical use, "That rollercoster ride is great, what a rush."
    Maybe he is addicted to risk taking and does things with a rush.

Packard

USA, English
    If I heard someone say "He did things with a rush", I would have to assume that he did things with some grass-like plant that grows in swamps.

The idiom is "in a rush" as mentioned above. English is often not logical. Sometimes it just is what it is.

< Previous | Next >