Do wrong to someone

liangmike

Mandarin
When someone tell others I did some bad things, but actually I didnot do that. how to decribe the act they do to me? I tried to find it in dictionary, just got the result of "do wrong to someone"

So should I say to him: " Don't do wrong to me"
I know I could say " Don't make rumor" or "Don't lie"
But I want the word which exactly mean "doing above act on purpose"

• liangmike

Mandarin
    Yes, which one is often used in spoken English? Which one is formal?

Say, when my friend say I borrowed his 20 dollars and I actually did not. So can I say " don't slander me, dude?"

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Yes, which one is often used in spoken English? Which one is formal?

Say, when my friend say I borrowed his 20 dollars and I actually did not. So can I say " don't slander me, dude?"
    Well, I wouldn't ever call someone dude, so I may not have the right register for you, Liang.

In this case, I'd say 'Don't tell lies about me,' or, perhaps, 'Don't run me down'.

All the other words I suggested are rather formal, and certainly educated in tone.

liangmike

Mandarin
    Good, thanks!
    As to "dude", I just borrowed from the American movies I watched. My people called their friend dude. I thought it was similar to bro.

So "don't tell lies about me" or" don't run me down" is the colloquial way of slander etc. you mentioned?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Good, thanks!
    As to "dude", I just borrowed from the American movies I watched. My people called their friend dude. I thought it was similar to bro.

So "don't tell lies about me" or" don't run me down" is the colloquial way of slander etc. you mentioned?
    Neither is very colloquial. 'Don't slag me off' would be a more colloquial way of saying this. I don't doubt there are many others too. Try 'slag off' in the Urban Dictionary.

< Previous | Next >