Do you fancy…?

MaRi__aNnA

Ukrainian
Hello 👋,Native speakers, could you tell me do you often use the word “fancy” ? For example: Do you fancy going out for a meal after work? Or maybe there are more popular synonyms?

• Wordy McWordface

SSBE (Standard Southern British English)
    Hello and welcome. For me, as a British English speaker, that's a very natural thing to say. It's an informal way of asking whether the idea appeals to the other person. I use the expression a lot.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Hello and welcome. For me, as a British English speaker, that's very natural thing to say. It's an informal way of asking whether the idea appeals to the other person. I use the expression a lot.
    Yes. All of this.

Also, standing in front of something that requires a choice, such as a buffet, menu, shop counter:
    What do you fancy?”

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    Hello 👋,Native speakers, could you tell me do you often use the word “fancy” ? For example: Do you fancy going out for a meal after work? Or maybe there are more popular synonyms?
    As an American English speaker, I never use 'fancy' as a verb, and I imagine that the same is true of most AmE speakers.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    In BrE, because it is informal, instead of 'Do you fancy going out for a meal after work?' might become 'Fancy a bite after work?' (a shortened sentence; and 'meal' sounds a bit formal so I've used another word).

natkretep

But it's derived from the imperative form, isn't it? Fancy that! Imagine that!

And fancy to mean imagine rather than like is also non-AmE?

natkretep

He fancies himself as a connoiseur of fine things.
    She fancied that he was embarrassed.
    I fancy it will rain later.

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Not to my knowledge. In fact, I don’t think I would have even understood the second and third examples :eek: (I think I’ve come across the reflexive use, as in the first example, in British English).

suzi br

English / England
    What do Americans say when they “fancy someone” in terms of being a potential date?
    Eg
    “I fancy her, but I daren’t ask her out”

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    It’s a verb etymologically. Synchronically, “Fancy that!” is an interjection.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    So what? Anything can be an interjection. This particular one happens to consist of the imperative form of a transitive verb, complete with its direct object.

Not all dictionaries even bother listing it as an interjection. Dictionary.com gives the following as one of the definitions of "fancy" as a verb:
    to form a conception of; picture to oneself: Fancy living with that egotist all your life!