Do you floss?

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
In the elevator, Harley is looking into his psychiatrist's, a pretty woman's, eyes.
— Lieutenant, you're staring.
— No, not really. I'm lost in your eyes. That is the whitest white part of the eye I've ever seen. Do you floss?
— You're very confident, aren't you?

Hot Shots!, film

Whatdo you think he meant by that question?
Thank you.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I suspect the "doesn't really work" factor may be a reflection of Harley's personality, intelligence, and lack of boundaries. We would need more context to be sure, but the writer presumably wants us to see him as the type of guy who will say inappropriate and not-very-clever things in the pursuit of sex.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Well, I can't really imagine anyone asking whether someone flosses their eyes, even as a joke.

I guess Harley is impressed by the healthy look of the woman's eyes, and he wants to know whether she (like him?) is a stickler for dental hygiene. He may be an obsessive type who could only go out with an equally obsessive female.

The joke is that, by trying to show he's interested in her, he simply reveals his own undesirability.

Myridon

English - US
    Well, I can't really imagine anyone asking whether someone flosses their eyes, even as a joke.
    He's just wondering how someone might make the whites of their eyes whiter.
    This is one of those 80s/90s parody movies where every line is a joke (Airplane!, Naked Gun, etc). They aren't all good jokes. The incongruity of the question is what makes it funny. You aren't really supposed to think about it (in the 0.005 seconds before the next joke hits).

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    This film is a "spoof" of serious war films: an imitation film that mocks war films. This is true for the entire film. None of it is a serious film itself.

That means:

- The handcome lead actor is mocking the handsome lead actors in war films. Every action, every pose, everything he says is an imitation of how the Hero acts, poses and talks in war films.

- All the situations, fights, and other characters are also imitations of similar things in war films. But they are changed a little, to make them silly.

In this example, the Hero talks with the Beautiful Female Psychologist, and flirts with her. He says sexy things in a serious and sexy way. To make it silly, the movie has him say something ridiculous ("Nice white eyes. Do you floss?") but he says it in a serious, sexy way. And the movie has her respond as if he said something serious and intelligent.

The remark is not particularly funny. What is funny is he says it seriously, and she responds as if it was serious, but it is silly.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    This film is a "spoof" of serious war films: an imitation film that mocks war films. This is true for the entire film. None of it is a serious film itself.
    Wiki says:
    The film is primarily a parody of Top Gun, with some scenes spoofing other popular films, including 9 1⁄2 Weeks, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Dances with Wolves, Marathon Man, Rocky, Superman and Gone with the Wind.
    I've watched none of them:D (except for Rocky). Although I do know the "food" scene from 9 1/2 Weeks that is parodied here.

< Previous | Next >