Do you have any advice for learning Chinese?

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

Would anyone know how to translate the following question to Chinese? "Do you have any advice for learning Chinese?" (or French, English, etc.)
Thanks!

• ChengChi

Chinese - China
    你有没有对于中文学习的建议?
    When translating “leanring Chinese”, we tend to invert these two words which makes the phrase looks more nominal.

对于学习中文你有什么建议吗?

I think the difference between 对于 and 关于 is just like the difference between "Do you have any advice for learning Chinese?" and "Do you have any advice about/on learning Chinese?" :)
    in the context here, I don't think there is a big difference between 对于 and 关于, though I myself would pefer 对于, just like you chose "for" instead of "about/on".

I'm not sure in English, will there be any obvious differences between "Do you have any advice for learning Chinese?" and "Do you have any advice about/on learning Chinese?"?
    Maybe on is more formal than about, but it's not the case for 对于and关于 。

SuperXW

As Albert has explained, they are very similar indeed.
    If you really want to learn the difference, check the independent meanings of the characters:
    对: toward
    关: about

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    As far as I know, 'upon' is suggestive of 'staying focused upon' and is therefore more appropriate when the topic is well defined and narrow, and when the speaker expects the advice that he receives to be rather relevant. For example,
    He gave me some advice on how to run a business.
    如何經營一家企業這件事上,他給了我一些建議。​

In contrast, the preposition 'about', etymologically, has the meaning of 'around the circumference of', and therefore allows a much broader scope. For example,
    His advice about time management proved instrumental in helping me improve my schedule.
    他給我的關於時間管理的建議,我後來發現,對我事程的安排很有幫助。​

Do you have any advice for learning Chinese?
    I did a Google search for 'advice for' and found

1571141271154.png

It seems that 'advice for' is typically followed by someone, rather than something. Below is what an advanced search shows:

1571126804736.png

So, I genuinely feel unsure. Assuming that you meant 'tips for', you might ask, '學習中文的時候,有沒有甚麼訣竅?'

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >