Do you have vs. have there been a lot of customers

< Previous | Next >

hydsky

korean
If I want to ask my friend whether many customers came to her shop today (let's say it's in the afternoon I'm asking her the question)

Should I say

1) Do you have a lot of customers today?

or

2) Have there been a lot of customers today?

• Istarion

British English
    "Have there been a lot of customers today?" :tick: is good.
    "Do you have a lot of customers today?" :cross: doesn't work because it's in the present tense. You need to put it into the past, because you're asking about customers who have already visited (i.e. the customers are in the past).
    "Have you had a lot of customers today?" :tick:.
    -I

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Do you have' asks about habitual or regular things:

Do you have a lot of customers on Tuesdays?
    Do you have a lot of customers in the morning? [each morning; on an average morning]

Buman_heing

russian
    If you wanna know how she's been doing so far since the shop was opened and she is still at the counter, you should use present perfect.
    One of the examples:
    How many customers have you had today (so far)?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    If I want to ask my friend whether many customers came to her shop today (let's say it's in the afternoon I'm asking her the question)

Should I say

1) Do you have a lot of customers today?

or

2) Have there been a lot of customers today?​

2) is just fine, if the shop has been open for a few hours. If it is the end of the day and the shop is closing we might use the simple past, 'Did you have a lot of/many customers today?' If the morning is over you can ask 'Did you have a lot of/many customers this morning?'.

There are several other ways of saying it, but 2) is just fine and all the better for your having proposed it yourself so long as you understand why the Present Perfect is suitable but not the simple present.

Hermione

< Previous | Next >