Do you hear anything from Wendy these days?

< Previous | Next >

shardaneng

italian
Hello everybody.

I have found an old book from when I was at university and, out of curiosity, I tried to test myself with some execises.
This one is about the use of present tense. There's a series of sentences, some correct other not. I have to find the mistakes present in the incorrect ones.

Here is the sentence in question:

Are you hearing anything from Wendy these days?

My attempts:

have you heard ecc. (but I'm not supposed to use the present perfect)
Did you hear ecc. (I can't use the simple past either)

The book's solution:

Do you hear anything from Wendy these days?

The contemporary presence of the "simple present" and the expression "these days" makes it sound weird to my ears.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• minimor

Chinese
    I think it could express like this: Have you been hearing from Wendy these day? (present perfect continuous tense)

The present perfect continuous tense could be used for flowing two situation.
    1, emphsize behaviours happen over and over again during a time.
    for example: where have you been? we have been looking for you everywhere.

2, emphsize hehaviours happen continual during a time.
    for example: we have been studing here for 4 years.

the sentense you asked means "during these days the one have been tring to hear from Wendy", so the action of hearing from Wendy is continual for these days, could use the present perfect continuous tense.

Ivan_I

Banned
    Russian
    Hi!
    It’s worthy to be mentioned that I have come across a similar sentence in a grammar called “Advanced Grammar in Use” by Martin Hewings which is:

I am hearing a lot of good reports about you these days.

Can’t we say “Are you hearing anything from Wendy these days?” on the same ground?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I see nothing wrong with the progressive form of "hear" when it's a question of repeated bouts of hearing over a periosd of time:

1 I am hearing a lot of good reports about you these days

The progressive form isn't normally used to talk about one instance of hearing: *Listen! I'm hearing a strange noise from the cellar; go and see what it is.

2 Are you hearing anything from Wendy these days?

I wouldn't feel the need to use this, since the simple present is fine and I don't think the progressive form adds anything. I wouldn't reject it though - in casual speech, which is the only place you're likely to hear it. In a test it would be prudent to reject it, I think.

Edit: In #1 it can be justified, since the "hearing of good reports" many times over a time period is fact. In #2 we don't need to stress it - we're simply asking whether someone hears anything of Wendy - they may have heard nothing at all.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >