Do you know (of) Stephenie OR Do you know who Stephene is?

GeogeHalin

Japanese
Let's discuss!

I'm wondering if there're any differences between "Do you know Stephenie Meyer ?", "Do you know of Stepheine Meyer?" and "Do you know who Stephenie Meyer is?"
The Stephenie Meyer I'm talking about is the author of the Twilight Saga.

I think we use "Do you know Stephenie Meyer?" if we want to know whether a person is familiar with her or a friend of hers.
"Do you know Stephenie Meyer?" "Yes, I do. She's a friend of mine."

And I think we use "Do you know of Stephenie Meyer?" or "Do you know who Stephenie Meyer is?" when we want to know if the person knows the basic information about her.
(In a English lesson, the teacher asks me: "Do you know of Stephenie Meyer? or Do you know who Stephenie Meyer is?". It means "Have you heard of things about her?" and "Do you know who she is and what she does?" separately.)
I don't think we can use "Do you know Stephenie Meyer?" here.

What do you think?
Please help!
Thank you.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "Do you know Stephanie Meyer?" = "Are you acquainted with Stephanie Meyer?" or, "Do you know Stephanie Meyer in some personal way?"
    "Do you know of Stephanie Meyer?" :cross:
    "Do you know of a Stephanie Meyer?" = "Do you know anyone called Stephanie Meyer?"
    "Do you know who Stephanie Meyer is?" = "Can you explain why I might know Stephanie Meyer? Can you remind me of something that distinguishes her from other people that I might know?"

A: "Do you know Stephanie Meyer?
    B: "Yes, she and I are friends."

C: "Do you know of a Stephanie Meyer?"
    D: "Yes, I think she is the girl who has that very large dog."
    D(i): "No. Why are you asking me?"

E: "Do you know who Stephanie Meyer is?"
    F: "Yes, don't you remember? She is that girl who we saw when we were in Paris."
    F(i): "Yes, she's a singer."
    F(ii): "No."
    E(ii) "Well, she is the youngest millionaire in London."

GeogeHalin

Japanese
    If I'm doing my homework, and I see the name "Stephenie Meyer", and I don't know who she is, so I ask my mom:
    "Do you know who Stephenie Meyer is?"

Can I use the other two?

Thanks again!

pob14

American English
    I agree with Paul. Note that this differs from your other question about the Vampire Diaries, because Stephenie Meyer is a person, and it's possible to know her as a person, leading to "do you know Stephenie Meyer" having that meaning primarily. (Note to PaulQ: GeogeHalin has the spelling of Ms. Meyer's first name correct; it's unusual, but correct.)

GeogeHalin

Japanese
    Do you mean if I say "Do you know Stephenie Meyer?" It could mean "Do you know her in some personal way?", but it could also also be used in contexts like #3?

Thanks again, Pob and Paul:)

< Previous | Next >