Do you know the Vampire Diaries?

< Previous | Next >

GeogeHalin

Japanese
Hi everyone!

If I want to know whether my friend knows what 'Vampire Diaries' is (I guess Americans know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the TV show 'The vampire diaries'.), Can I say:
"Do you know the 'Vampire Diaries'?" "Yes, I do. It's an American TV show"
Or should I say "Do you know what 'The Vampire Diaries' is?"
My friend might not have seen the show, I just want to know whether he knows it's an American TV show.

If none of sentences is correct, what should I say?
How do I make this idiomatic?

Thank you!

• pob14

American English
    I think it works fine, if perhaps a little colloquial. I know I use it a lot: "Hey, you know that new Superman movie?" It essentially means "do you know of it." Note that the "do" is often omitted in informal speech.

Myridon

English - US
    The underlined question would be very confusing to someone who had no idea what "The Vampire Diaries" is. If you were discussing TV shows already, it would be okay, but if you just walked up to a random stranger and said that, you're likely to get a confused stare. "Do you know the mayor of London?" (a person) "Do you know The Mayor of Casterbridge?" (a book)

GeogeHalin

Japanese
    I get what you mean.

I wonder if I can use it like this:
    A: I love the Twilight Saga.
    B: So, you're interested in those vampire stuff?
    A: Yeah.
    B: "Do you know the 'Vampire Diaries'?"

What do you think? Is this confusing?

Thank you!

Myridon

English - US
    What do you think? Is this confusing?
    A has started a conversation about books/movies and is already familiar with "those vampire stuff." It should be clear to A what is meant, though I still think that something like:
    Have you (ever) seen/watched "The Vampire Diaries?"
    is much more likely than the "Do you know..." structure in this context.

< Previous | Next >