Do you know who I am ?

claude23

Banned
FRANCE
Good evening,

What should i say do you know who i am or who am i ?
What should I say: do you know who I am, or who am I ?

Thank you,

Claude.

<< Mod Plea: Please use capital letters where they are required - in this thread, in particular, for I.>>

• the-pessimist

English, United Kingdom
    who i am.. definitely
    ... who I am ... definitely.

<< Mod Plea: Please use capital letters where they are required - in this thread, in particular, for I. This plea is directed at Claude23 AND ibby.>>

Unveiled

Italian-Italy
    claude23 said:
    Good evening,

What should i say do you know who i am or who am i ?
    What should I say: do you know who I am, or who am I ?

Thank you,

Claude.

<< Mod Plea: Please use capital letters where they are required - in this thread, in particular, for I.>>
    Hi Claude23 :)

"Do you know" is a question, so you can't put another question after. "Do you know who I am" is the right one.

suzi br

English / England
    I would avoid saying that in general though. It is a phrase often associated with "famous" people who are trying to impose their status and using "who they are" as a challenge to mere mortals like shop staff and waitresses.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    suzi br said:
    I would avoid saying that in general though. It is a phrase often associated with "famous" people who are trying to impose their status and using "who they are" as a challenge to mere mortals like shop staff and waitresses.
    Not necessarily. You could ask the question to find out whether you have been spoken about to somebody before. For example, if a friend of mine has spoken about me to another of his friends whom I do not know, that person would then know "who I am." Say I meet him one day. To make sure, I could ask "do you know who I am?" in the sense of "have you heard about me before?", which I do not find at all condescending or supercilious.

< Previous | Next >