Do you like apples?

Dinnerout

Italy - Italian
Hi,

I heard the expression "Do you like apples?" in the movie Good Will Hunting:D and I wonder what that idiomatic expression exactly means...

• modgirl

USA English
    I saw the film several years ago, and perhaps apples might have had some symbolic meaning (but I don't recall offhand), but "Do you like apples" is not an idiom. I'd have to watch the film again to tell you what, if anything, apples represent.

David

Banned
    The expression is "How do you like them apples?!?" It means, idiomatically (with intentional bad grammar, to imitate a working class style of talking) "I challenge you to do something if you do not like what I have just done or told you..."

I am going to marry your sister, and I don't care whether you approve or not! How do you like them apples?

modgirl

USA English
    David -- I never thought of that. Sharp eye! Of course, now I feel like digging out the movie to watch it again!

modgirl

USA English
    I enjoyed the movie. It's also where I learned of the singer Elliott Smith (who sang several songs in the film) who then became one of my favorites. But unfortunately, he committed suicide a little over a year ago by stabbing himself (!).