do you party

sallyann

English - Mexico
Hi! I wonder if someone can help me out by translating "do you party?" Does it mean do you like to go to parties?? Or do you like to drink?? What would the translation be in spanish?? Thanks a lot!

• tigger_uhuhu

spanish-mx ct
    También "¿Eres fiestero/a?" (muy mexicana la expresión, según creo)
    y
    do you like to drink??
    ¿te gusta beber?/¿bebes? (bebidas embriagantes, claro)
    Saludos
    Tigger

sober

Alicante (Spain)
    I´m not a native, but I think Woodchuck might be right here. I remember the movie American Beauty when Kevin Spacey talks to Wes Bentley after they met at a party and Wes´s character asks: "do you party?" and when he realises that Kevin doesn´t understand him he asks again:"do you get high?" and he hands him un porro (sorry, don´t know the name in english...maybe joint?).
    So I figure it´s a slang term and could mean "te colocas?" or something like that, although, as always, it would depend on the context.

Mei

Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
    sober said:
    I´m not a native, but I think Woodchuck might be right here. I remember the movie American Beauty when Kevin Spacey talks to Wes Bentley after they met at a party and Wes´s character asks: "do you party?" and when he realises that Kevin doesn´t understand him he asks again:"do you get high?" and he hands him un porro (sorry, don´t know the name in english...maybe joint?).
    So I figure it´s a slang term and could mean "te colocas?" or something like that, although, as always, it would depend on the context.

Yes, I remember that scene! I agree.

Mei

Laia

Catalan, Spanish
    Orgullomoore said:
    Partying has nothing to do with smoking marijuana. I would translate "do you party", as simply "¿Festejas?"

Actually, I think that "festejar" means to go out with your boyfriend/girlfriend.
    Is an old verb here, used by grandparents... hehe

Laia

Catalan, Spanish
    tigger_uhuhu said:
    También "¿Eres fiestero/a?" (muy mexicana la expresión, según creo)

No Tigger, yo soy muy fiestera, y no soy mexicana. ;) :D

Woodchuck

English-US Vermont
    Sorry my spanish is so bad.
    It is true. If someone in USA asks "do you party?", they do not mean fiesta. They are asking if you smoke marijuana.
    you don't have to believe me, but its true.
    we rarely use "party" when we are talking about drinking and dancing.

Laia

Catalan, Spanish
    Woodchuck said:
    It is true. If someone in USA asks "do you party?", they do not mean fiesta. They are asking if you smoke marijuana.

In this case, a better translation would be:
    - ¿Fumas maría/costo?

CheRie

Español/Inglés Houston/Caracas
    ¿Well, to me "do you party?" has always meant "¿te gusta divertirte?" "eres fiestero/a?" (como dice Tigger). I see now that it has another meaning.
    I guess I'll be very careful next time I ask or answer that question!!!

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    Woodchuck said:

Well, I'm from USA, and never would it occur to me that someone was asking me if I smoke marijuana. Maybe it's a generational or regional thing, but I use, and hear, "to party" as meaning go out and have a good time. For some it may include smoking pot, but not necessarily.

Woodchuck

English-US Vermont
    you could be right. i noticed all that think it means party like drink are from Texas area. I guaruntee if someone asks "do you party" in NY or california, they mean marijuana.

Mei

gotitadeleche said:
    Well, I'm from USA, and never would it occur to me that someone was asking me if I smoke marijuana. Maybe it's a generational or regional thing, but I use, and hear, "to party" as meaning go out and have a good time. For some it may include smoking pot, but not necessarily.

Well maybe it's like when people says "¿Estas haciendo los deberes?" (Are you doing your homeworks?) and that means that you're smoking... well not exacly... means that you're close to smoke, I mean maybe it depends of the region.

Mei

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    Mei said:
    Well maybe it's like when people says "¿Estas haciendo los deberes?" (Are you doing your homeworks?) and that means that you're smoking... well not exacly... means that you're close to smoke, I mean maybe it depends of the region.

Mei

Mei, what do you mean "close to smoke"?

Laia

Catalan, Spanish
    Mei said:

Mei

Wow Mei, I don't understand it!

Residente Calle 13

New York City
    Yeah. It can be slang for "do you take drugs" or it can just be innocent. The reason there are so many euphimisms in the drug culture is that it's forbidden fruit. In NYC, in some circles, "Do you smoke?" means "Do you smoke cannibis?"...I mean, weed, grass, herb...aren't these all euphimisms anyway?

I even heard, on TV, the phrase : "I didn't know you liked to get wet!" It means, apparently, "I didn't know you did PCP."

Laia

Catalan, Spanish
    Residente Calle 13 said:
    I even heard, on TV, the phrase : "I didn't know you liked to get wet!" It means, apparently, "I didn't know you did PCP."
    What does PCP mean? :confused:

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    Mei said:
    :eek: Ups, it was an invention... I mean... to be ready to smoke (?) Estar a punto de fumar, is it correct?

To be close = estar cerca, right?

Mei :rolleyes:

So "haciendo los deberes" means that you are getting ready to smoke pot? Does this mean you are thinking about it, or making some kind of preparations?

Mei

gotitadeleche said:
    So "haciendo los deberes" means that you are getting ready to smoke pot? Does this mean you are thinking about it, or making some kind of preparations?

It means that you're preparing it. But it's what people say in my area.

Laia: Did you hear it?

Mei

CheRie

Español/Inglés Houston/Caracas
    Laia and Mei, now explain to the rest of us not from Catalunya what "hacer canutos" is.

Laia

Catalan, Spanish
    CheRie said:
    Laia and Mei, now explain to the rest of us not from Catalunya what "hacer canutos" is.
    Hi Cherie, you just have to look up at the dictionary:
    canuto m
    1 (para planos, documentos) tube
    2 (para lanzar proyectiles soplando) blowpipe
    3 argot (porro) joint, spliff

helenduffy

USA, English
    "Do you party?" means to me "Do you get high?" that could be with drugs or alcohol.
    It would NEVER mean "do you like to go to parties and just dance?" or anything like that.
    For generational/regional linguistic context: I'm a forty-something native speaker of English from an east coast city.

SweetMommaSue

USA
    USA/American English
    Wow! This is sure interesting! I grew up in the Philadelphia area, and there if someone asked you if you "partied" it could mean either drinking or smoking dope or doing other drugs. Generally one would know the meaning by the people one was with and the conversations one was having with them.

Sweet Momma Sue

aurilla

Am Eng/PR Spanish
    sallyann said:
    Hi! I wonder if someone can help me out by translating "do you party?" Does it mean do you like to go to parties?? Or do you like to drink?? What would the translation be in spanish?? Thanks a lot!

Are you referring to an actual party or something else?

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Mei said:

I think our cute little Catalonian friend meant to say this:

Well maybe it's like in Spanish when people say "¿Estas haciendo los deberes?" (Are you doing your homework?). That's a colloquial way of saying, "Are you smoking up?" It can also mean, "Are you about to go smoke up?" I mean maybe it depends on the region.

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    helenduffy said:
    "Do you party?" means to me "Do you get high?" that could be with drugs or alcohol.
    It would NEVER mean "do you like to go to parties and just dance?" or anything like that.
    For generational/regional linguistic context: I'm a forty-something native speaker of English from an east coast city.

Just to check my understanding I asked the secretary here who is about my age (54) what she would understand if I asked her if she partied, and she responded "to go out drinking and have a good time." When I told her that in some areas it meant getting high she looked like this :eek: Hehe...I told her I had the same reaction when I first read that it meant that. I'll have to check with my younger nephew to see how he interprets that sentence.

Mei

VenusEnvy said:

Well maybe it's like in Spanish when people say "¿Estas haciendo los deberes?" (Are you doing your homework?). That's a colloquial way of saying, "Are you smoking up?" It can also mean, "Are you about to go smoke up?" I mean maybe it depends on the region.

Yes, that's it! Thank Nic! he he it seems easy when you say it... :eek: :rolleyes:

Mei

KateNicole

English (USA)
    In my opinion, "do you party" is not always an allusion to smoking marijuana, but it does have a "wild" connotation. I associate it with a not-so-innocent party......which would at least include alcohol, but not necessarily illegal drugs.