Do you stir or beat the egg?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hectacon, Jan 24, 2016.

1. hectacon Senior Member

Hindi
    Do you stir or beat the egg?

2. dermott

dermott Senior Member

Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy
    B.E. via Australian English
    The usual culinary term is beat. A recipe might call for you to stir an egg into a mixture but that's a different thing. Preparing an egg involves beating it.

3. hectacon Senior Member

Hindi
    HOOOOOH confusing . :rolleyes:
    Anyway the motion is the same . right? When we say beat , we actually don't Rap on the egg .

4. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    Beating is not the same as stirring. Beating is a vigorous action while stirring is gently moving something in a circular way. We might beat sugar and butter together then beat in already beaten eggs, then gently stir in flour, if we're making a typical British cake.
    They are two different techniques with different results. Beating when you should be stirring could ruin the final result. The difference is rather like the difference between hitting and stroking.

'...Rap on the egg...' What does this mean?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. dermott

dermott Senior Member

Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy
    B.E. via Australian English
    No. You break the egg into a dish or bowl and use a whisk or fork to beat it. Beat it lightly means just to break up the yolk and amalgamate it with the white. Beat it thoroughly means until you have a homogenous mixture.

[​IMG]

6. hectacon Senior Member

Hindi

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the Image. <-----Off-topic comment removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
  7. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    I'm with Hermione here, though I doubt if I'm as accomplished a cook.

I both beat eggs and stir them. The circular motion is much more rapid in beating, which is best done with a whisk. Stirring is often done with a spoon, in cooking often a wooden spoon.

The old joke - Question: What's the difference between an egg and a bit of slap and tickle? Answer: You can beat an egg - doesn't work with stirring, because you can't stir a bit of slap and tickle.