Do you think I am a donkey?

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Hi,
In Persian and Azerbaijani language we have a very funny expression or maybe an idiom. We say it to a person who we think is going to fool us but we are smart and know that he/she wants to deceive us.

We usually tell him/her: "Have you supposed me a donkey?" or "Do you think I am a donkey?"

I want to know what you native English speakers say in this circumstance.

Thank you

• dreamlike

Polish
    I'd take 'Do you think I am a donkey?' to mean just that, sb70012, 'Do you think I am an idiot?', but that's probably because in Polish we too associate these animals with stupidity.

If you're looking for some nice idiomatic phrase to communicate this idea, I suggest that you ask 'Who are you trying to fool?'. Perhaps a native speaker of English will be able to come up with something better, but I wouldn't necessarily count on some animal expression, nor do I know whether 'Do you think I am a donkey?' would be understood in the way I understand it by a native speaker of English.

ESustad

English - (Minnesota)
    If you are dubious about a plan, or think someone is trying to trick you, you can say "Something is fishy here" or "I smell a rat." "[Jack]ass" refers more to a rude or ill-mannered person, although stupidity can also be an element.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    In fact, your phrase would be understood because we can say ""Don't take me for an ass!" in English, though it sounds rather old-fashioned and/or literary. If you Google it (in quotation marks), you'll find some examples.

< Previous | Next >