"Do you think you will...?" "Probably"

meijin

Japanese
Hello. Below is a survey question (and response options) I've just made up that is aimed at gauging the level of intention of the respondent to use a specific service.

Q. The service will be offered at half price next month. Will you use it?

1. Definitely
2. Probably
3. Cannot say either way
4. Probably not
5. Definitely not

I believe the full sentence of, say, #2 is "Yes, I probably will," which makes sense.

Now, what about the following question?

Q. The service will be offered at half price next month. Do you think you will use it?

1. Definitely
2. Probably
3. Cannot say either way
4. Probably not
5. Definitely not

Is the full sentence of #2 "Yes, I think I probably will"?
Would no one misinterpret it as "Yes, I probably think I will," which is very odd?

If these answers are not appropriate for the second question, what simple answers should be used instead? Please remember that the answers must represent the respondent's level of intention.

Thank you

• boozer

Bulgarian
    For me the answers are perfectly fine and I think they represent the level of intention, as you put it, quite well. Will you really be offering the service at half price? If yes, then the tense of the question is also fine.

Myridon

English - US
    Adding "Do you think" adds a level of doubt to every answer.
    "I think I definitely will use it." and "I definitely think I will use it." are basically the same as "I probably will use it." It's confusing.

meijin

Japanese
    Ah...I think you're right, Myridon. I should've noticed it before posting. "I think I will use it" and "I probably will use it" are indeed the same. :eek:

< Previous | Next >