Do you turn onto/on to/into/in to a street?

Michael J.W. Beijer

English - UK/US and Dutch - Netherlands.
I am writing driving directions for on a British company website and would like to know what is preferable:

'turn right into Mill Road'

'turn right in to Mill Road'

'turn right onto Mill Road'

'turn right on to Mill Road'

Thanks!

• bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    I turn right onto Mill Rd.

Edit: I just realized that you probably want the opinion of a BE speaker, sorry:(

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I might turn right into a mews, a driveway or a short cul-de-sac, where the concept of an inside would be apparent, but otherwise it's onto a road. The separated versions (in to and on to) don't sound right to me.

englishamateur

polish
    Hi :) . I would like to know why we use "onto" in this sentence and if there is possibility to write this seperately : "on to" ?

I want to get onto the street .

Englishman123

German - Germany
    <-----Threads have been merged at this point by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Hello everyone,

I do not know if I am wrong or the English book.
    The topic is directions and there are phrases given by the book the students (6th grade) should use.

One phrase struck my attention.

"Turn left/right into xxx Street."
    In my opinion this is wrong.
    Since "into" is used to go for example in a closed place. I would say "into xxx Street" if it is a dead end or maybe "turn left into the driveway", since the driveway is limited due to the garage.

But the book uses this expression universally for every kind of street.

I would rather say that on/onto are way better prepositions in this case. "turn left on/onto Market Street" "Take the second right on xxx Street"

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >