Do you wanna get high off my love?

CharlotteMystic

Español
Hello everyone I heard this phrase in a song "Do you wanna get high off my love?" and I'd like to know what does this mean?

I thought it could mean do you wanna get the best of my love? but I'm not sure, I'm totally clueless could some native help me?

Thank you

• Retired-teacher

British English
    "Get high" is the common expression for the feeling you get when taking illegal drugs (or so I'm told). The lyrics of the song are suggesting that "with my love you will have a similar feeling to drug taking".

hjr.lm7mudia.hntati

english-USA
    It means "do you want to get a euphoric feeling from my love?"
    By this the writer meant a “feeling of intense excitement and happiness.”

In slang, “getting high” doesn’t necessarily have to be used to mean an effect of drugs. You can jokingly say something is so good/sweet it’s making you high. I’m not sure if that is the case with everyone but I hear it used like that around here :D

CharlotteMystic

Español
    Thank you so much for all your explanations guys! I think I understand! :p Even I can think of a translation into my language now ! :thumbsup:

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    It didn't always mean illegal drugs, but it has for a long time. I remember hearing it on the Phil Silvers Show (in re-run) and being a little surprised. It was in reference to drinking a bit and getting euphoric.

< Previous | Next >