doctor 'then' examined ....

< Previous | Next >

Pedrojl15

Spanish
My English teacher showed me a sentence, and I'm not sure if it is gramatically correct:
'A doctor then examined the patients.'
Is it correct?
Thanks.

• AlmostEnglish

Polish
    It is correct. I don't think it's what grammar books usually teach you (gone through a few of those...), but it is grammatically correct.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Hello Pedrojl15 - welcome to the forums!

Can you explain why you think it might not be grammatically correct? I'd say it would be fine, in the right context:).

Pedrojl15

Spanish
    Hello Pedrojl15 - welcome to the forums!

Can you explain why you think it might not be grammatically correct? I'd say it would be fine, in the right context:).
    I couldn't understand what was the sense of that 'then' in the sentence.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Ah, I see:).

I think it just has the meaning "after that": in other words, it's describing the next thing that happened....

AlmostEnglish

Polish
    I coudn't understand what was the sense of that 'then' in the sentence.
    My ESL speaker's experience is that, when you're taught about words like "then", they tell you to use it this way: "Then a doctor examined the patients." However, it can be used correctly in another way- the way your teacher showed you. It means the same (determines when- after some other action/event, or at the specific time you're talking about). It's just used in a different place. Still the same thing.

< Previous | Next >