doctoral committee

ralife

Portuguese
hello all.

How do I refer to a person who participates in the oral examination of someone who has concluded a doctoral thesis?
I have found some possible ways of expressing that:

a member of a Doctoral committe

a member of the Board of Adjudication for Doctoral theses

Which one is the commonest used?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you very much!

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It depends on what the institution calls the group. You can't just make up a title for a person who's a member of such a group.

Or do you have the job of creating a name for such a group?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Do not call this group a doctoral committee. A doctoral committee, at least in the U.S., is something else: the group of people who advise a student during the research leading up to the student's dissertation and in the writing of the dissertation itself. (I had one several decades ago and have been on some since then.) Members of the doctoral committee could also be on the examination board, but the two roles are separate.

As for what you should call it: I agree with Parla. Unless this will be the first doctorate that the institution has ever given, this group probably already has a name. If the name in in Portuguese or some other language, I would ask English-speaking faculty members what they call it. If you don't get a useful answer, I would translate the original name as closely as possible into English.

mathman

English-American/New England
    Do not call this group a doctoral committee. A doctoral committee, at least in the U.S., is something else: the group of people who advise a student during the research leading up to the student's dissertation and in the writing of the dissertation itself. (I had one several decades ago and have been on some since then.) Members of the doctoral committee could also be on the examination board, but the two roles are separate.

(snip)
    This may be institution-dependent, and may also depend on what field you are in. My doctoral committee in physics was the group in front of whom I defended the thesis. It was also just called my "thesis committee." At my institution, there was no committee that advised me during the writing of my thesis: that role was played by my thesis advisor (just one person).

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It looks as if you are not thinking of your thesis committee, but of the people who will be asking the questions at the viva (or viva voce). In a British context, you might say 'member of the (PhD) viva (team/panel)'. They are often the (internal and external) examiners of the thesis as well, so we might just refer to them as examiners. But as others have said this is often institution specific, and you're best to check with your supervisor (= AmE adviser).

Last edited:

mkeys

Bilingual - English (USA) & Hebrew
    At my university they call it the "exam committee"
    or the "oral qualifying exam committee."

< Previous | Next >