Does a hobbyhorse have a wooden dick?

VicNicSor

Russian
Dalton starts working a bouncer/administrator in the local club. And he learns that there's a powerful and mean tycoon in town. One time Dalton comes into the store just when the tycoon's two men are leaving. When he enters, he finds a mess inside, which the seller, Red, is cleaning up. Dalton asks what happened, if Red gets robbed. Red says every week.
Dalton: So, what does he [the tycoon] take?
(....)
Red: Ten percent, to start. It's all legal like. He formed the Jasper Improvement Society. All the businesses in town belong to it.
Dalton: Everybody pay?
Red: Does a hobbyhorse have a wooden dick?
Road House, film

I understand the implication must be "we don't have a choice", "we have to". But still, what does the phrase mean?
Thanks.

Last edited:
  • heypresto

English - England
    I guess you know what a hobbyhorse is?

I haven't heard this one before, but it appears to be equivalent to 'Is the Pope a catholic? or 'Do bears shit in the woods?'.

Myridon

English - US
    I.e.: it's obvious that a hobbyhorse has a wooden dick, and so it's obvious that everybody pays. Right?..
    That's what it means.
    (However, it doesn't do to think about it too much as hobbyhorses are rarely, if ever, anatomically correct and some of them are female. I suppose part of the humor is in suggesting that a child's toy has genitalia. ;))

Chasint

English - England
    I would be very surprised if Red spent even 0.001% of the amount of time thinking about it compared to the accumulated effort we have put in on this thread :D
    I agree also but it occurs to me that the hobby-horse in the above picture might just be head and dick with no body.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I agree also but it occurs to me that the hobby-horse in the above picture might just be head and dick with no body.
    That's in any case as much logic as this particular phrase is likely to make. The meaning of the rhetorical question is clear, however, as is the case with the examples heypresto cites.

< Previous | Next >