Does a pigeon walk funny?

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Alex-Icek, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Alex-Icek Member

French
    Good afternoon to all wordreferencers,

I would like to ask a question concerning the exact meaning of what I guess is an English idiomatic phrase.
    The above sentence comes from the novel Once a Runner by John L. Parker, Jr.
    Here is the context: two boys are talking about a forthcoming trial, during which the first one will be defended by the second (who is convinced that they are going to win).

"And you think we can win?" he croaked.

"Does a pigeon walk funny?" (the second character answers)

It seems to me quite obvious that the second character ensures his interlocutor that they will certainly win the case. I have however never encountered this phrase before... Could a native (or any other kind soul) provide me with a more precise explanation (and confirm that this is actually an often-used English phrase - and not only peculiar to Parker's writing)?

A great many thanks in advance.

2. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

You have understood the meaning of the rhetorical question correctly, Alex.

Personally, I have never heard/used that one, but it sounds like other similar ones I've heard:

Is the Pope Catholic?
    Does a bear shit in the woods?
    Is a frog's ass watertight?

(The first one is the most commonly used, in my experience)

3. Alex-Icek Member

French
    Hello Wildan,

Many thanks for your quick answer! I'll try to remember the other idiomatic phrases (even though the two last ones seem rather colloquial...)

Goodbye.

4. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

All are colloquial, Alex. The first one is more prevalent and also less offensive to some.