Does 'ID' have some other meaning?

Sylvia_scj

Mandarin
Dear All,
The following sentences are from "Grey's Anatomy", a popular TV play:

Paramedic: Katie Bryce, fifteen-year-old female, new onset seizures, intermittent for the past week, ID lost en route, started grand mal seizing as we descended.

What does ID mean here?
Thank you in advance.

• Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
    Human psychology ( cognitive part) consists three parts: id, ego, and super ego.

Id represents natural thoughts of a person-even sexual thoughts which are produced without control.

Super ego makes one think that soceity is very important and so our actions should be surrendered to society, no matter it does not benefit the individual.

Ego explains the reasons why a person should think in a particular way and mediates between id and super ego; ego is very much aware of current situation and advises acccordingly.

Erebos12345

Canadian English
    Hmm, was it spelled out "I-D"? If so, then it should simply be an abbreviation for "identification" referring to her identification cards which were lost.

Regarding psychoanalysis, I don't think id is spelled out in conversation, but rather said as a regular word, just how you'd pronounce it at the end of splendid. Besides, I doubt these Freudian theories still have any place within modern medicine. Even so, it would be much more fitting in a psychiatrist's office, not an emergency room. Then again, I can't vouch for the scientific accuracy of a television show.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    ID means "identification". They are describing her as a fifteen-year-old female because they have no name for her because her identification was lost in the excitement of the emergency and getting her to the hospital.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Human psychology ( cognitive part) consists three parts: id, ego, and super ego.

Id represents natural thoughts of a person-even sexual thoughts which are produced without control.

Super ego makes one think that soceity is very important and so our actions should be surrendered to society, no matter it does not benefit the individual.

Ego explains the reasons why a person should think in a particular way and mediates between id and super ego; ego is very much aware of current situation and advises acccordingly.
    I think you misread the question, Pidginboy. The psychological term "id" is not written with two capital letters. The two letters ID (both capitalized) usually stand for identification.

Sylvia_scj

Mandarin
    Out of curiosity, your thread title says "Does 'ID' have some other meaning?" Did you have a different meaning in mind that wasn't "identification"?
    I mean: does "ID" have some other meaning except for the abbreviation of Identification?

I don't think it's related to psychology. Because the scene is about the emergency of a girl's illness. It does not stand for identification here either. because "Katie Bryce, fifteen-year-old female" is the detailed information of that girl.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I mean: does "ID" have some other meaning except for the abbreviation of Identification?

I don't think it's related to psychology. Because the scene is about the emergency of a girl's illness. It does not stand for identification here either. because "Katie Bryce, fifteen-year-old female" is the detailed information of that girl.
    Even so, I think that identification or identity card is what they mean. For instance, they might be covering themselves in case of a possible future charge of theft, or they might be saying that the name and age they just gave are based on what the girl or witnesses told them and not confirmed by any document.

< Previous | Next >