Does it show that much?

< Previous | Next >

dreamlike

Polish
Hi everyone,

Let's take the following mini-dialogue which I made up for the sake of this thread.

A: You're not exactly fond of Tom, are you?
B: Does it show that much? = is it so evident? That I don't like Tom?

Is it perfectly fine to, informally, ask 'Does it show that much?' meaning 'Is it so evident'?
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but it doesn't appear to be extremely common, judging by google.
Does it sounds familiar in tone? In other words, do you hear people use it?

• dreamlike

Polish
    Thanks. Yes, maybe 'evident' was not the best choice of words, but I was mostly concerned with the sentence 'Does it show that much?'. The rest was just a means to an end.

Myridon

English - US
    I think just "Does it show?" is probably more likely. Can you tell that I don't like him?
    "Does it show that much?" says that you know it shows and you just want to know to what degree it shows. Does it show a lot or a little?

dreamlike

Polish
    I think just "Does it show?" is probably more likely. Can you tell that I don't like him?
    "Does it show that much?" says that you know it shows and you just want to know to what degree it shows. Does it show a lot or a little?
    That's a good point. Though 'Does it show that much' strikes me as a more natural choice in my dialouge, because it's obvious that A can tell that B doesn't like Tom, and the utterance that B makes is just a trashy one, to maintain a conversation, if you know what I mean.

I would also describe it as idiomatic, though not quite an idiom.
    Yes, it's a natural use of language, something one shouldn't expect coming from Polish EFL teachers. :D

< Previous | Next >