does not give you a bath

< Previous | Next >

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
Quote of N. Pelosi speaking about W.Barr: "He lied to Congress. And if anybody else did that it would be considered a crime. Nobody is above the law, not the President, not the Attorney General. Being Attorney General does not give you a bath to go say whatever you want and it is the fact because you are the Attorney General."

I think this trancription must be a mishearing of "does not give you a pass to go say..."; what do you think?

• Jimbob_Disco

British English
    That's so weird... I've just found the video of her saying it, and to me it really sounds like she is saying 'bath'! I'd be really interested for other natives to have a listen and see what you hear - it's the first link in Barque's post at #3, and you can hear it around 07:00-07:10.

Barque

Tamil
    You'll find an MSNBC video on Youtube if you search using "Nancy Pelosi".

It sounds like "does not give you a path" to me. It looks she was searching for the right word; she pauses after "does not give you a".

Last edited:

Jimbob_Disco

British English
    You'll find an MSNBC video on Youtube if you search using "Nancy Pelosi".

It sounds like "does not give you a path to me". It looks she was searching for the right word; she pauses after "does not give you a".
    Yes, I found one and slowed it down to 0.25x speed, and it still sounds like 'bath'. Maybe I'm just not attuned enough to an American accent?

Barque

Tamil
    In the video in the article I linked to in #3, the one you listened to first, it sounded like "bath" to me too. But in the MSNBC video I found on Youtube, with better sound quality, it sounded like "path", which makes more sense.

Jimbob_Disco

British English
    In the video in the article I linked to in #3, the one you listened to first, it sounded like "bath" to me too. But in the MSNBC video I found on Youtube, with better sound quality, it sounded like "path", which makes more sense.
    Ah, okay... do you have a link to that one by any chance? I'm curious now!

Myridon

English - US
    I can't seem to find the right video, but she makes very siblilant esses. I can sthee sthomeone misthtaking "pass" for "path".
    "to give someone a pass" is a common phrase in AmE.

< Previous | Next >