Does 'objective necessity' make sense when used to describe a inevitable trend.

matrixxxxtiiiiii

Chinese
It's an objective necessity for energy costs to rise as economy and society continue to develop. Does this sentence make any sense? I just want to figure out whether it sounds so not authentic. Thank you for your help!

• owlman5

English-US
    The phrase sounds okay to me if you mean to say that the necessity for something can be or has been established objectively.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It's an objective necessity for energy costs to rise as economy and society continue to develop. Does this sentence make any sense? I just want to figure out whether it sounds so not authentic. Thank you for your help!
    Why don't you say 'Energy costs must rise...'?

That would avoid the gratuitous impersonal, which some people find offensive, and the apparent pleonasm of 'objective', which seems to me to add nothing at all. Then the vapidity of the sentence would become obvious, and people have the leisure to wonder why you don't consider such things as 'energy costs per head' which might be more significant.

English people don't read this sort of thing much unless you are very direct and very economical and accurate with language.:)

matrixxxxtiiiiii

Chinese
    Why don't you say 'Energy costs must rise...'?

That would avoid the gratuitous impersonal, which some people find offensive, and the apparent pleonasm of 'objective', which seems to me to add nothing at all. Then the vapidity of the sentence would become obvious, and people have the leisure to wonder why you don't consider such things as 'energy costs per head' which might be more significant.

English people don't read this sort of thing much unless you are very direct and very economical and accurate with language.:)
    Thank you so much.

< Previous | Next >