doesn't so much stir hot-button issues as showcase

lupocci

Italian
Dear all,
I do not understand the meaning of this sentence:

Bound to be one of the year's biggest comedy letdowns, The Dictator doesn't so much stir hot-button issues as showcase a great satirist off his game

In particular the part: "The Dictator doesn't so much stir hot-button issues as showcase a great satirist off his game". Is showcase a verb or a subject? I am confuse.
thanks
L.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "Showcase" is a verb. It means "display."

The film doesn't stir... as much as the film ​showcases...

Egmont

English - U.S.
    It is a verb. The WRF dictionary, which you can access at the top of this page, defines "to showcase" as "to exhibit, to display."

The Dictator primarily showcases [displays] a great satirist off his game - that is, not at his best. If it stirs hot-button issues, that is secondary.

lupocci

Italian
    mmm thank you very much. Now I am closer to understand the general meaning but I still do not understand it completely. Why does it say "showcase" and not "showcases"?

lupocci

Italian
    Ok thanks it makes sense. But you could also write: It does not stir ... but [it] showcases ...". So I guess that at the end both "but showcases" and " but showcase" could be right. Am I wrong?

Thelb4

UK English
    The Dictator doesn't so much
    --- stir hot-button issues
    as [it does]
    --- showcase a great satirist off his game

Putting "showcases" here would be wrong.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    So I guess that at the end both "but showcases" and "but showcase" could be right. Am I wrong?
    "But showcases" can't be right, for the reason that Thelb4 posted just above, but "but it showcases" would be correct. The "it" starts a new phrase, which is grammatically unrelated to the one before it, so it cancels the effect of the earlier "does[n't]."

< Previous | Next >