Dog health/ Dog's health/ The health of the dog

Alejandra_Ro

Español
Hi! I was studying the use of the possessive and I have noticed that sometimes «'s» and «of» are used without distinction. These are parts of texts that I found on the internet:

a. Dog(s) health - non specific
----> All you need to know about dog(s) health.

b. The health of dogs - non specific
-----> This has a negative effect on the health of dogs.

c. Dogs' health - non specific
-----> This has a negative impact on dogs' health.

d. Dog's health - non specific
------> Information about dog's health.

(I understand that the difference between the sentence c and d is the singular and plural)

e. Dog's health/ Dogs' health - specific
-------> Regular exercise is good for your dog's health.
-------> The things I've done to improve my dogs' health.

f. The health of my dog - specific
-------->I saw a huge change in the health of my dogs

Perhaps the sentences a, b, c and d are interchangeable, and the sentences e and f too since their meaning is the same in these contexts or there is a grammar error which I didn't realize? (or maybe they don't have the same meaning?)

If they are interchangeable, is there any difference why it's preferred to use one over the others?

Thank you for taking the time to help me!

• fenixpollo

American English
    A is grammatically incorrect. I can't think of a way to fix it because it has no meaning at all to me. It's also a run-on sentence (an incomplete sentence).

D is grammatically incorrect, in addition to the fact that it is a run-on sentence. You can fix it by adding an indefinite article or a possessive adjective.
    ...information about a dog's health.
    ...information about my dog's health.

As far as your question about the structures are interchangeable, or whether they have the same meaning, the answer in this particular context is "yes" and "yes."
    b. This has a negative effect on the health of dogs.
    c. This has a negative impact on dogs' health.

These are interchangeable, they mean the same, and personally I wouldn't prefer one over the other in written text. When speaking, I would prefer (b) because it's difficult for me to pronounce dogs' clearly -- I have to say "dogses."

Forero

a. Dog(s) health - non specific
    All you need to know about dogs health:cross:
    All you need to know about dog health:tick:
    (dog health = canine health)

b. The health of dogs - non specific
    This has a negative effect on the health of dogs.:tick:

c. Dogs' health - non specific
    This has a negative impact on dogs' health.:tick (dogs' health = the health of dogs)

d. Dog's health - non specific
    Information about dog's health:cross: (singular dog needs a determiner)

e. Dog's health/ Dogs' health - specific
    Regular exercise is good for your dog's health.:tick: (your dog's health = the health of your dog)
    The things I've done to improve my dogs' health.:tick:
    (my dogs' health = the health of my dogs)

f. The health of my dog - specific
    I saw a huge change in the health of my dog.:tick:
    I saw a huge change in the health of my dogs.:tick:

Perhaps the sentences a, b, c and d are interchangeable, and the sentences e and f too since their meaning is the same in these contexts or there is a grammar error which I didn't realize? (or maybe they don't have the same meaning?)

If they are interchangeable, is there any difference why it's preferred to use one over the others?
    "My dog's health" and "my dogs' health" sound the same, so if the difference is important and not obvious from the context, say "the health of my dog" or "the health of my dogs", depending on which you mean.

Similarly, you might need to say "dog health" in a context where "canine health" might accidentally refer to teeth.

Castela

Español
    Dog health se refiere en general a la Salud canina. Tambien se puede decir y tiene el mismo significado The health of dogs. La primera forma podria ser usada como título de un articulo por ejemplo.