doggone street

jacdac

Lebanese
At rehearsals, back at Bellwood High, Harold would do imitations of his father, Reverend Luther. “In or out?” Harold would holler, pretending to be his father, yelling at the kids. “Am I paying to air condition the whole doggone street?” Harold would demand, with his shoulders back and his chest out, assuming what Bethie imagined was the reverend’s posture. “You shut that door before I slap you into next week, have you looking both ways for Sunday.”
source: Mrs Everything by Jennifer Weiner

Is doggone as common as goddamn?

gloss:
I slap you into next week: I slap you so hard that you'd fly forward in time, into the next week. The "into next week" is just for emphasis.
looking both ways for Sunday: be at a loss, giving the appearance of looking in two different directions.
doggone: "Doggone" is a euphemism for "goddamn”, It is used to express feelings of annoyance, surprise, or pleasure ::now just a doggone minute

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    "Doggone" isn't as common, but it's also more of a regional expression. Someone living in New York City would be unlikely to use it.

kentix

English - U.S.
    This book starts in the 1950s (according to the synopsis I read) so it could also be a matter of era. I'm guessing it was more common in the past.

It's much, much, much milder than god damn - so much so that I think many people wouldn't even see the connection.

< Previous | Next >