Dogmatic/latitudinarian

Ik Ram

Urdu
I wonder if the following sentence is correct?

<Despite the fact that our people are dogmatic in religion, latitudinarian in politics.>

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It's grammatical but, it's not quite a sentence. "Despite that fact that" makes this a subordinate clause. It is missing the main clause, for instance.

Despite the fact that our people are dogmatic in religion, latitudinarian in politics, they are [something].​

Where does this come from? Is there more that you didn't copy? What was the sentence before this?

Ik Ram

Urdu
    It's grammatical but, it's not quite a sentence. "Despite that fact that" makes this a subordinate clause. It is missing the main clause, for instance.

Despite the fact that our people are dogmatic in religion, latitudinarian in politics, they are [something].​

Where does this come from? Is there more that you didn't copy? What was the sentence before this?
    Cagey thanks, I made this sentence. What about the following versions? Will they work?

<Despite the fact that our people are dogmatic in religion, they are latitudinarian in politics.>
    <Our people, as a nation, are dogmatic in religion but latitudinarian in politics.>

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Both those sentences work well in AE.

Note: I have never seen the word "latitudinarian" before, so I suspect it is not widely known in AE. I may be wrong.

< Previous | Next >