Dogs are the man's best friends.

< Previous | Next >

cheshire

Japanese
(1) Dogs are the man's best friends.
(2) Dogs are man's best friends.
These sentences are supposed to mean "Dogs are human's best friends." Do you thing (1) is exactly the same meaning as (2)? I wanted (1) to mean not a particular man, but the whole humans.

• SaritaSarang

English - United States
    It's, " Dogs are man's best friend." It refers to all humans, not just a man, it means to mankind. They are very loyal to their owners.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Not surprisingly I agree with cuchuflete.
    The saying is idiomatic and always phrased the same way with both nouns being written or said as singular but intending to indicate all dogs and all humans.

cheshire

Japanese
    Thanks for always helping us, Sarita and cuchuflete (whenever I see your username, I always remember "cacahuete" (peanuts)).

Is (1) impossible?

(3) The dog is a loyal animal.
    (3) is OK, right? "the man" in (1) is supposed to be in the same sense as "the" in (3) Is it still wrong to say (1)?

Dog is man's best friend.
    Thanks, DotCom, your input always helps.
    The reason why "dog" is in singular is...

(A) Because "man" is in singular, making both singular looks good.
    (B) Just idiomatic.
    (C) This "dog" is "a listing singular" (if such a term exists). "Dog" is a category name in a list.

(4) Dog is cat's best friend.
    Please tell me if (4) is OK or not.

Lucretia

Russian
    As far as I know, man has no article: Man created weapons. But my grammar books say other nouns should have the: The cow is a domestic animal. The chrysanthemum is my favourite flower. Therefore
    The dog is the cat's worst enemy.
    Any objections?

chesty

english
    As far as I know, man has no article: Man created weapons. But my grammar books say other nouns should have the: The cow is a domestic animal. The chrysanthemum is my favourite flower. Therefore
    The dog is the cat's worst enemy.
    Any objections?

No objections, some exceptions.

e.g. "Man bites dog." or "It's dog eat dog.". (But not Katmandu).

< Previous | Next >