dog's owner

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, what do you call a master or mistress in Polish, it is a dog's (maybe other animal's) owner. May guess is: pan, pani. Czechs use the same words but with diminutives (páníček - panička), so maybe you use a diminutive, too. Thanks. E.

• Fragers

Polish
    Hello, we can use also właściciel/właścicielka, but I am not sure if you are asking about it. I have no idea for diminutive forms of a master/mistress in polish.

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Hello, I think we really need a specific context. You see a puppy in the street and star to talk to her: "where is your master/mistress" - you ask in English. Would you say: Gdzie jest twój pan / twoja pani? in Polish. So colloquial language. I have the feeling właściciel/właścicielka would not fit here, no? Thansk. E.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Hello, what do you call a master or mistress in Polish, it is a dog's (maybe other animal's) owner. May guess is: pan, pani. Czechs use the same words but with diminutives (páníček - panička), so maybe you use a diminutive, too. Thanks. E.
    No, we don't use the diminutive. The normal is pan/pani if you speak to the dog. If you speak to people (especially if you speak to the owner) the most used word is właściciel/właścicielka; pan/pani sounds bookish. I think that if I asked somebody "czy jest pan panem tego psa" the owner would burst in laughter or think that I am a foreigner.

< Previous | Next >