Doin' it country cool

< Previous | Next >

vin_vit

Vietnamese
Hi guys,
I came across this phrase "Doin' it country cool" when I read a book. I tried to figure out its meaning with the help of Google Search, but didnt find anything. I just knew that it was from an advertising campaign for Mountain Dew.
I'm in need for your help!
Many thanks in advance!

• sdgraham

USA English
    Welcome to the forum, vin_vit.

Advertising agencies often create terms out of thin air. Don't assume that anything in an advertisement is standard English.

"Country" might refer to the landscape, country music, rural lifestyle or anything else that fits with the context.

Cool, of course, is well known in various meanings, including, from our dictionary:

• informal sophisticated or elegant, esp in an unruffled way
    • informal excellent; marvellous
    (cross-posted while interrupted by a phone call)

vin_vit

Vietnamese
    Thanks Beryl from Northallerton and Sdgraham for your kind responses.
    This book names How Brands Become Icons by D. B. Holt. I guess it's about country lifestyle.
    Here is the context:
    "In the mid-1980s, Mountain Dew responded even more assertively with a new capaign called "Doin' It Country Cool". Handsome, scantily clothed young men still performed atheletically to impress young women. But this time, the guys wore cowboy hats and were considerably more clever in their adventures" [they did "horse ski" on the river].
    I guess it may mean doing it in cool country style, but not sure it's right.
    Again, thanks for your kind help!

theartichoke

English - Canada
    To sdgraham's explanations of "country" and "cool," I'd add that "Doin' it"--when "it" remains undefined--is usually a sexual innuendo. This would seem to fit with your context--the "it" that the scantily clothed young men are doing in the ad might be athletic tricks, but the suggestion would be that they're going to impress the young women and wind up "doin' it" with them. Which, presumably, will make you associate drinking Mountain Dew with having sex with the "country cool" partner of your choice.:D

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I also see this as a phrase minted for the purposes of re-establishing the brand as being associated with things rural, and to that extent untarnished by the cynicism of modern life - honest-to-goodness traditional beer, only brought up to date by dint of 'cool'; clearly, they were always doin' it, we just imagined they weren't, but know we know.
    The cool also serves to remind us of the thirst quenching properties of an ice-cold beer. (Cross-posted)

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I also see this as a phrase minted for the purposes of re-establishing the brand as being associated with things rural, and to that extent untarnished by the cynicism of modern life - honest-to-goodness traditional beer, only brought up to date by dint of 'cool'.
    The cool also serves to remind us of the thirst quenching properties of an ice-cold beer.
    Ah, if only Mountain Dew were a nice traditional beer! It's actually a nasty, sugary soda.:)

< Previous | Next >