doing an introduction

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi there, say, a manager of the resort is going to quit and a new one will take his place, so the former one has to show the new guy what to do, can I sat the following?
Mike is going to quit soon, and now he is doing an introduction to the new manager.
I doubt if do an introdution sounds find here.

• timpeac

English (England)
    Hi there, say, a manager of the resort is going to quit and a new one will take his place, so the former one has to show the new guy what to do, can I sat the following?

I doubt if do an introdution sounds find here.
    We say "doing a handover". The person receiving it is "having a handover".

I think in less colloquial terms you could say "giving an induction to" and "being inducted" respectively.

ewie

English English
    Hi Kenny. There's a handy ~ but slightly jargony ~ word for this in BE: induction / (induct) 'introduction of a new employee to his job':
    Has Kenneth had his induction yet?
    (Has Kenneth been inducted yet?
    ~ I feel that the verb is a bit less common).

timpeac

English (England)
    On reflection, I think my original "handover" is better than "induction".

A handover can only really be given by the person leaving, and this is what you are describing.

An induction is more general, "Here is your desk. These are your responsibilities." Perhaps there is also some "these are the files that your predecessor left" but that's not really a handover.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    On reflection, I think my original "handover" is better than "induction".

A handover can only really be given by the person leaving, and this is what you are describing.

An induction is more general, "Here is your desk. These are your responsibilities." Perhaps there is also some "these are the files that your predecessor left" but that's not really a handover.
    Ya, I just checked the definition of handover, which is pretty much the word I was looking for in my case.

< Previous | Next >