Doing cleanliness

< Previous | Next >

Roymalika

Punjabi
:warning:Removing unnecessary and unwanted hair from the body, like underarm hair, pubic hair. Is there any word for it in English? Doing cleanliness of the body?
In some religions, followers are required to do cleanliness of their bodies (removing pubic hair and underarm hair) within 40 days.
I do cleanliness of my body after three weeks.
There are very convenient and easy-to-use razors available in the market to do cleanliness of body. They are very good. No cuts, no bleeding, no pain.

(My question is not aimed at offending anyone. Just asking for knowledge)

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Cleanliness" is associated with getting rid of dirt, sweat, secretions. Body hair is not dirty, if we keep it clean.

Your body may be completely shaven or naturally hairless, and still be dirty if you don't wash regularly.

Cleanliness/dirtiness and presence/lack of hair are not related concepts in the English language.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    From a background in socioanthropological study of religion, I think of removing hair in religious practice as an act of purification.

Roymalika

Punjabi
    You'd have to say 'shaving my face and pubic area'.
    :confused:
    I did not talk about the hair on "face". I talked about the hair on armpit.
    Also, it is not the armpit/pubic area we shave:eek:; it is the hair we shave on these areas. Am I right?

Roymalika

Punjabi
    "Cleanliness" is associated with getting rid of dirt, sweat, secretions. Body hair is not dirty, if we keep it clean.
    Not all body hair are dirty. In most divine religions, pubic hair and armpit hair are considered to be dirty, that's why they need to be removed.

I think of removing hair in religious practice as an act of purification.
    :thumbsup:

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Also, it is not the armpit/pubic area we shave:eek:; it is the hair we shave on these areas. Am I right?
    No, you shave those areas. By shaving, you remove hair. You don't shave the hair; you shave the hair off.

The only exception is "shaving your beard". You don't normally say "He shaved his face". You'd just say "He shaved", or "He shaved his beard" if he had more than a few days' growth on his face. (Heypresto used "shaving my face" to explain it to you and because it could work in this context--he may not have noticed you didn't mean the face.)

I suppose you could use "shaved...hair" if you're referring to an area that isn't normally shaved. For example you could say "He shaved his chest" or "He shaved his chest hair", but people, especially women, do commonly shave their underarms and pubic areas and so you'd refer to shaving those areas, not the hair.

In most divine religions,
    Are there any undivine ones?;)

< Previous | Next >