doing DUI enforcement

arueng

CHINESE
Two police officers from the Traffic Police Corps were doing DUI enforcement after 10 pm.

Hi,
The above is from an English test for police officers here. Does "doing DUI enforcement" make sense and sound good to you? I found it sounds a bit awkward. Is it right to say "enforcing DUI laws?" Thanks.

• pwmeek

English - American
    They were doing enforcement (enforcing laws of some kind). What kind of enforcement? DUI enforcement. DUI is being used as an adjective here. It sounds just fine to me. (AE)

Those Who Squirm

English, American
    Two police officers from the Traffic Police Corps were doing DUI enforcement after 10 pm.

Hi,
    The above is from an English test for police officers here. Does "doing DUI enforcement" make sense and sound good to you? I found it sounds a bit awkward. Is it right to say "enforcing DUI laws?" Thanks.
    My $.02:

The phrase Enforcing DUI laws has some issues. For one thing, it would be more natural to say that they are enforcing the DUI laws. Leaving out the definite article does not necessarily render the statement ungrammatical, but it does implies that a few or some of the DUI laws are being enforced. It's somewhat like the difference between these two statements:

She ate grapes. (she ate a few or some of the grapes that were there.)

She ate the grapes. (she ate all the grapes that were there.)

The phrases doing DUI enforcement and doing law enforcement sound much more natural to my mind's ear, if they are meant to denote the activities of individual police officers.

< Previous | Next >