doing it yourself

< Previous | Next >

joanvillafane

U.S. English
I see in the WR dictionary that "fai da te" is a noun and I'd like to use it, but don't know how (or if) it fits here:

context: - writing a response to someone who's involved in a complex home improvement project. This sentence comes at the end:

Doing it yourself must be very gratifying.
Il fai da te ??? deve essere molto gratificante.

Or do I need to do something else with "fare"??
THANKS!

• Allanon

Italiano
    The "fai da te" is something not so complex, that can be made with no needing of special tools or engeneer projects.

Doing it yourself must be very gratifyting.

Farlo da soli, deve essere molto gratificante

The "fai da te" cant be conjugated.
    The article is male : IL "fai da te"

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Really? no special tools? So if someone is doing a roofing project or building furniture, setting ceramic tile, etc. that would not be considered do-it-yourself? Please explain.

Allanon

Italiano
    in my opinion il fai da te, è qualcosa che viene costruito, montato senza particolari strumenti, e senza una specifica abilitazione riconosciuta...

You can't build a "fai da te" house, because you need all the projects to build it

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    OK, I think I know what you mean. Thank you.
    However, I think we use it differently here. We'd say someone is a "do-it-yourselfer" for projects at many different skill levels.

pacariss

Italian
    Ciao,
    I agree with Allanon on the translation:
    "Farlo da soli/solo, deve essere molto gratificante"
    but not on the concept of "fai da te" because if you go in one of those so called "fai da te" stores you can find all kind of tools, from the smallest screwdriver to the professional drill etc.

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    However, I think we use it differently here. We'd say someone is a "do-it-yourselfer" for projects at many different skill levels.
    Same here, in actual fact.
    Visit a home-improvement store (like your Lowe's but not as huge ;)) and you'll find power tools of any description and DIY or semi-professional equipment to match your skill level and job complexity.
    Grouting a shower can be done without special tools, overhauling a lawn mower can't. :D

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Visit a home-improvement store (like your Lowe's but not as huge ;))
    Here the saying is that these stores are so big they have their own zip code! :)

Can I ask here how to say "home-improvement store" in Italian?

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    Here the saying is that these stores are so big they have their own zip code!
    I love getting lost in a Lowe's. When I eventually find my way to the checkouts I'm carrying $100s worth of goodies...:rolleyes:

There's a chain called Bravo.Romeo.India.Charlie.Oscar(*) from the French word bricolage (DIY). Then you have countless variations of Fai Da Te, even Faidate.

(*) Don't think I'm allowed to mention brands here...:D

< Previous | Next >