Doing undergraduate studies?

alex_ln

Polish
Hello

Is "doing undergraduate studies" correct in the following context:

"While I was doing my undergraduate studies at university, I made friends with James, doing the same major I was doing."

Thank

• Tazzler

American English
    I think "pursue" sounds better with "studies."

"doing the same major I was doing" I would reword differently, as "who had chosen the same major as I" or "who was majoring in the same subject as I was."

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking—the question doesn't make sense.

If you are asking about the difference between a "program" and a "major" . . .

In U.S. universities, we have both "programs of study" and "majors." Sometimes, the terms mean the same thing, but there can be "programs" that aren't "majors." A "program" might include a number of different courses but not lead to a degree or a major, or it might be interdisciplinary, with a common set of courses but a requirement that a student also complete a "major" in one of the standard academic disciplines. Just as a hypothetical example, and without reference to any particular institution, a university might have a "Medieval studies program," consisting of courses in medieval literature taught in the various language and literature departments (English, German, French, Italian, etc.), courses in medieval music taught in the music school, courses in medieval history taught in the history department, and perhaps courses in the religion and philosophy departments. Students in the medieval studies program would take some of these courses as part of a German literature major, a history major, a music history major in the music school, etc., and other "medieval studies" courses as electives. Each of the students in the medieval studies program would get a degree in some other discipline—his major. To complete a major, a history student or a literature student would have to take courses concerning history, literature, music history, etc., in other time periods, or outside of Europe.

Since the meaning of "program" varies so much, if it is important it is necessary to determine how the term is used at a particular university, or what exactly a particular "program" consists of, what its requirements are, etc.

< Previous | Next >