dolphin cry

< Previous | Next >

cfu507

Hebrew
Hi,
I was watching a video clip about how there are many poor people in this word and there are wars and one of the sentences was:
why when someine needs sombody we dont give a helping hand
why we dolphins cry...

what does it mean dolphin cry? Is it like crocodile tears? unreal cry?

• Trisia

Romanian
    Hi,

I'm not familiar with such an expression. Maybe you could give us more hints (if it's a song, a link to the lyrics would be great, or you could quote four lines of the song, those you find relevant).

... the cry of the dolphins? Maybe it's meant to accuse people of cruelty directed no only towards one another but also animals (and particularly those now-extinct dolphin species). Anyway, this is just a guess. Maybe someone knows more :) (and maybe we can get more context).

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I'm guessing in the absence of more context, but it says "we dolphins"; is the song meant to be the monologue of a dolphin? Is the dolphin feeling sad at what the humans have done to each other?

I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound as insipid I do. It just came out that way.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    There is a song with a line about dolphins crying. Here are the lyrics. As far as I can see, and without wishing to go into much detail, the couple are making love in the imagination (I think) of one of them (the singer), outside, near the ocean. Dolphins are friendly creatures; what sort of cry this is I would regard as open to speculation.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I'm reminded of dolphin "nurses" or "doctors": they will swim underneath an ailing pod-mate, lending him or her their strength—for as long as they can—to help them to remain near the surface so that they can breathe. I wonder if there is any lore related to dolphin cries under those conditions.

Scherle

Filipino, and English
    Hi,
    I was watching a video clip about how there are many poor people in this word and there are wars and one of the sentences was:
    why when someine needs sombody we dont give a helping hand
    why we dolphins cry...

what does it mean dolphin cry? Is it like crocodile tears? unreal cry?
    What is next after dolphins cry? Please provide us the rest of the sentence. Thanks.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    The line appears to be: "Why do the dolphins cry?" It's followed by a line about the oceans dying, so I assume it's just referring to sad dolphins.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    The line appears to be: "Why do the dolphins cry?" It's followed by a line about the oceans dying, so I assume it's just referring to sad dolphins.
    I think it goes a bit further than this. The song is largely about what we are doing to the world: we burn the forests, we pollute and overfish the oceans. The dolphins (friendly creatures) are weeping because of what we are doing to their environment.

Cry is ambiguous - it can mean either shout or weep. Here it clearly means weep.

< Previous | Next >