domain-specific adaptations, and handcrafted evaluation functions

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Life makes adaptations to survive and game programs make adaptations to have better performance - Well, the question is here, "handcrafted evaluation functions refined by human experts" are also the behavior of adaptations. So I wonder whether "domain-specific adaptations" particularly refers to the machine's self training that is automatic.

Thanks in advance

Mastering Chess and Shogi by Self-Play with a General Reinforcement Learning Algorithm

The game of chess is the most widely-studied domain in the history of artificial intelligence. The strongest programs are based on a combination of sophisticated search techniques, domain-specific adaptations, and handcrafted evaluation functions that have been refined by human experts over several decades.

-arXiv

Source

• Uncle Jack

British English
    So I wonder whether "domain-specific adaptations" particularly refers to the machine's self training that is automatic.
    It doesn't read like that to me. It doesn't say how the adaptations have been made, but the specifically man-made handcrafted evaluation functions that follow suggest to me that domain-specific adaptations are also man-made, not part of the machine's self-training.

< Previous | Next >